We pulled A LOT of material during the Spring Semester.  I found a company in York County, PA that will take and recycle the bound periodicals (we do not have to remove covers).  We let them know about 2 days ahead of time, and they will contract a dumpster for us and have it delivered.  We fill it, and then it is picked up (they prefer same day, so that the neighborhood doesn't decide to dump their regular trash).

Tomorrow is our first of 2 scheduled days; each dumpster holds approximately 30 cubic yards of material.  They charge $150 per dumpster, but pay us $50 a ton… so it will be interesting to see if we owe anything.

--Ken

----------

Ken Siegert
Acquisitions Assistant
Electronic Resources & Periodicals / U.S. Documents

Shadek-Fackenthal Library
Franklin & Marshall College
P.O. Box 3003
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003

Phone -     (717) 291-4219
Fax -     (717) 291-4160

On Jul 6, 2011, at 1:46 PM, Cook, Eleanor wrote:

State institutions in North Carolina are under rather restricted rules for selling or giving away withdrawn library materials.  Efforts to change this have not progressed as much as we would have hoped, though we’ve been talking to the State Surplus officer and also a legislator about trying to augment the rules.

In the mean time, at my institution we’ve withdrawn selective journal runs for titles for which we now have perpetual archival access.  Rather than putting them in the dumpster, we have an arrangement with the records destruction company that we also use for our records management program and they come pick up and shred the materials that are discarded.  This is a more “green” solution, though it does not give us the flexibility we’d like to share the materials if the rules were relaxed.

Some states have managed to change their discards rules – Illinois is one of them, I believe.

Better World Books will take some materials, but they have become more selective over time, at least that is the impression I’ve gotten.

Eleanor I. Cook
Assistant Director for Collections & Technical Services
Academic Library Services -- Joyner Library
East Carolina University
East Fifth Street
Greenville, NC 27858
252-328-2598