Did you drop titles and use funding to pay for per-article use?

~Yes. We identified titles from Get it Now publishers, analyzed the past 3 years of usage stats, and marked for cancelation those that had an average cost per use that was higher than $25. We are canceling 36 titles for a combined cost of $28,000.

Was is easy to set up?

~Yes, relatively. CCC was very helpful and responsive. It took a couple of weeks to get it set up, tested, and rolled out. We used the ILLiad add-on to implement it.

Do your users access it directly or is it mediated?

~We are mediating. It’s integrated into our ILL service. For fall semester we are primarily using it for faculty and graduate students as a sort of pilot project. If we get a request from an undergraduate for an article for which we will have to pay ILL royalties higher than the Get it Now charge, then we fulfill the request with Get it Now. We started the service in July and provided 44 articles; in August, 85; and so far in September, we’ve provided 121 articles.

Do you like it/has it worked well for you?

~It has worked really well for us. There have only been a few technical glitches: requests returned because the system marked them as a “duplicate,” even though they weren’t; variation in the amount of time it takes for a request to be fulfilled (anywhere from a few hours to the next day); the citation must be *exact* or it doesn’t work; and there must be a valid ISSN for it to work. Most of these glitches probably have to do with the fact that we are mediating using ILLiad.

~Kelly

Kelly Smith

Interim Coordinator of Collection Services

Eastern Kentucky University Libraries

859-622-3062

kelly.smith2@eku.edu

http://libguides.eku.edu/profile/KellySmith

P Please consider whether it is necessary to print this email.

Has anyone made use of CCC’s Get It Now product, and if so, could you explain:

·         Did you drop titles and use funding to pay for per-article use

·         Was is easy to set up

·         Do your users access it directly or is it mediated

·         Do you like it/has it worked well for you

We are trying to consider how to get started and it would help to hear from some who already have. Thanks very very much –

Jane

Jane Lawless

Electronic Resources/Serials Librarian

Levin Memorial Library