From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Andree Rathemacher
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:13 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Wiley bundling / non-cancellation

Hi colleagues,

The University of Rhode Island subscribes to approximately 137 journals from Wiley for a total cost of just over $212,000.

For years, we've had a single site license, because though URI has two nearby satellite campuses, we have only one university and one library administration, and most other publishers recognize that we are not multiple locations, thus, I maintain that we are a single site.

Wiley has just decided that, per their license, we are in violation of their definition of site*, and therefore have to upgrade to an Enhanced license. Unfortunate.

However, and this is the nature of my question, the license agreement that they want me to sign bundles our individual subscriptions (which we get individually through EBSCO) into a custom package that they're calling a "core collection," AND FROM WHICH THEY WILL ALLOW NO CANCELLATIONS IN THE FUTURE.

This is the language:

Electronic Journal Subscription Maintenance and Swapping: The Licensee may swap subscribed
online journals in the Core Collection without penalty provided that such changes do not exceed
5% of the value of the total Core Collection for any calendar year. These changes will be reflected
in amendments to this Appendix. Swapping will be accepted at the title level or for duplicate
subscriptions. Swapping will only be accepted on a calendar year basis and Wiley must be notified of
any changes in writing no later than the preceding November 1st.

Has anyone else encountered this? I find it appalling, to say the least.

Comments, suggestions?

Thank you,
Andrée

*http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/licenseAgreement
Site — A single, geographically contiguous office building or complex or campus location plus access via the Licensee’s Secure Network, identified by the Licensee’s relevant Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, for Authorized Users as defined below. Wiley may refuse to grant a license to an institution claiming a range of IP addresses that, in Wiley’s opinion, represents more than one campus or office complex.

--
Andrée Rathemacher
Professor / Head, Acquisitions