From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Jane Smith
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:14 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Summary of replies to Hosting Perpetual Access Content on Library Server

From: Jane Smith
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:14 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

I had so many requests for the responses to my query regarding hosting perpetual access content on a library server that I decided to post to the list (and please forgive crossposting). I only received three responses from libraries currently doing this. The first posting contained GIF images that I had to delete since it caused the listserv to reject the posting, so if you saw this message on ERIL-L you’ll notice that it is slightly different.

1. We did activate our CLOCKSS access in SFX:

SFX just added a LOCKSS target this Feb., so I’m sure that my group will be looking at that.  Looks like there are 2744 portfolios/titles, and I will need to talk to our LOCKSS go-to person.  We are also planning to add perpetual access options to our homegrown ERMS, perhaps as a dropdown menu (LOCKSS, CLOCKSS, PORTICO, publisher storage site, PDF, DVD, download to current device, such as a flashdrive, etc. etc.).

We also activate access to PORTICO content and are members of that:

We, too, try to add perpetual access to all of our licenses where possible.  So far, I have a lot of content on DVD or as PDF downloads (all of those GALE, OUP, SAGE, etc. ebooks!) on one designated computer, but with a new IR (with a different focus than simply storage) and content saved here and there, I do not feel like we have a good handle on this by any means, and we have no established workflow other than getting it into the licenses.  Our users really have no access to this content.

2. Our library has not done this, at least we have not served up content.  There was the recent case of Journal of Psychotherapy Practice and Research (JPPR) from APPI, which the publisher did not transfer to a new platform, but the publisher did allow subscribers to download the full content.  UCSF downloaded the content but had not come up with a hosting solution yet, then APPI announced that they are working with NLM to get the content on PubMed Central, so we won’t need to do anything on our end.  A librarian at University of Arizona, Dave Piper, had contacted the publisher to ask them to put the content on an online archive, which may have been what pushed them to go with this more accessible solution.

Then there is Current Opinion in Drug Discovery & Development, which ceased and the publisher (now Thomson) no longer hosts it.  They have told us we need to request a CD-ROM and fill out an agreement, which seems overly burdensome and I have not had time to do this.  When I finally get around to doing this (though I’d love it if a PMC solution sprouts up instead! Perhaps I’ll ask Thomson to do this.), we’d probably host the content on a web page on our library site, and make it IP-authenticated for our institution only, and link to that site from the catalog and  SFX.

So this is my long answer to say, we haven’t done this at UCSF, and we are not a LOCKSS or CLOCKSS subscriber, but I am interested to see the results of how libraries handle these situations.

3. As part of OCUL ( http://www.ocul.on.ca/ ) we can upload content to "our" servers at Scholars Portal ( http://spotdocs.scholarsportal.info/display/sp/home ) resulting in a large collection of books ( http://library.wlu.ca/resource/SP_ebooks ) and journals ( http://library.wlu.ca/resource/SP_ejournals ).

This has nothing directly to do with LOCKSS.  To my knowledge, my institution is not part of LOCKSS.

Thanks to those who shared their experiences with us.

Jane Smith

Associate Professor

Coordinator of Electronic Resources

Texas A&M University