From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Diane Westerfield
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:58 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] binding

Putting on my (former) Bindery hat:

I’m baffled at your derision.

Sewing with acid-free linen thread is better for the materials than stapling, and it’s quite easy if you’re just doing the “B” stitch.  I don’t know why a librarian asking for sewing on pamphlets would be considered an extreme request. It’s not that expensive and work/study students can do it, so where’s the problem?

From a preservation standpoint, sewing with linen thread makes sense. Staples rust, discolor paper and fall apart over time.

From an equipment standpoint, staplers break. As they break, they warp staples (sharp ends can protrude out of the spine and cut shelvers’ palms). Big staplers are expensive to repair or replace. Linen thread, bought in bulk, is not that expensive. Needles are very cheap, and awls are reusable.

From a management standpoint, students with just average dexterity can do the work. It’s a nice break from stamping periodicals and can give students a task in the downtime between bindery shipments.

--

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian (previously held 3 different positions in a bindery unit, for 10 years)

Tutt Library, Colorado College

diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu

(719) 389-6661

(719) 389-6082 (fax)