Hi Susan

I agree, this is a shame.  Not just because of the generous open archive which was available to researchers until now, but also because of the moving wall of back access you report.  The licensed content may well cover you under a clause of ‘years you have paid for’ if you had a subscription going back to 1996 – I would certainly look into this – and unless there is a good reason to withdraw some years of a frontfile when a title moves to another publisher (I suppose in this case it could be argued that 1889-1999 is a better range to promote for one-off purchase than 1889-1995) the rights you have previously enjoyed should be honoured on transfer.

I hope the move from open archive to one-off payments is not symptomatic of a wider trend !

Best wishes

Louise

Louise Cole

Senior Information Advisor (Collections)

Nightingale Centre, Kingston Hill Campus

Kingston University

Kingston upon Thames

Surrey

KT2 7LB

Email louise.cole@kingston.ac.uk

Telephone 020 8417 5383 or 020 8417 7074

Fax 020 8417 5312