From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum <SERIALST@list.uvm.edu> on behalf of Miriam Nauenburg <nauen@WESTGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 2:05 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Bib maintenance for journals that are no longer received

Hi all,

I'm wondering how people handle ongoing bib maintenance for journals that are no longer received. If the title is closed on OCLC after your library stops receiving issues, do you update the record in your catalog? If so, would you mind sharing your process?

In the course of regular workflow, I've found dozens of titles that are open in our catalog but closed on OCLC. In some cases, I have to add a succeeding title record to our catalog and relink holdings to that title. This is especially a problem with older government documents.

I would like our catalog to have the correct information, but I fear there are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of records that need to be updated in this manner. Is there is a more proactive, focused approach for this kind of database maintenance? We are on Ex Libris Voyager 8.2.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Miriam C. Nauenburg
Serials & Electronic Resources Cataloger

Veritas non auctoritas facit jus.

* For additional information, see SERIALST Scope, Purpose and Usage Guidelines.
* For additional information, see SERIALST Scope, Purpose and Usage Guidelines.