If I can find the prices for the titles sold individually, I total that to calculate the discount and apply that percentage to derive the cost of the individual titles.  If I cannot find individual prices, I divide the price by the number of titles to assign a cost to each--this is not very satisfactory.  If we have a title that has been taken over by another publisher and bundled with other titles that we did not take in the past, I put all the cost on the title that we chose to keep as I consider that is the cost to us of keeping that title.  If you break a package, you have to make sure you cancel enough to make it worthwhile.

On 10/24/2013 2:30 PM, Leslie Burke wrote:

If you have an ERM tool, you might want to see if they can calculate at the package level, which would give you an aggregate for those items that you get in the whole package. That might tell you if the package as a whole is “worth” the money being spent, or if it makes more sense to get just a title or two on their own.

Splitting it out evenly would be another way, but it might make more sense to go with the listed price if you were to subscribe to the actual journal. I believe this is how EBSCO’s ERM Essentials calculates the price per use [any EBSCO lurkers, correct me if I am misrepresenting!]. I think this would make an evaluation a little more accurate, especially for those “extra titles” thrown in, e.g. if we paid for this directly, this is how much it would cost per use. I believe that’s what I would factor in when deciding to keep or change or cancel a package of journals.

This is my first year with usage stats with cost/use, so I’m still formulating what’s important to us in decision-making, so I’ll be glad to hear. There is a small group of us who are “crowd-sourcing”/working on a book of best practices especially around usage statistics issues, so we will be glad to get input from as many people who have opinions about this.

Curious too,

Leslie

Leslie D. Burke

Collection Development & Digital Integration Librarian, Library

Kalamazoo College

1200 Academy St

Kalamazoo, MI 49006

p 269.337.7144