Many people responded that they were in the same quandary and I was, but only a few people had some suggestions.  A big Thank You to Dan Tonkery and Christina Cool for their suggestions.  I have emailed Peter about getting Sessions re-included in the Counter Reports, but for the meantime I am looking at incorporating the Result Clicks into our Usage analysis – though year-to-year analysis within the same product is now virtually impossible without the same type of statistic.

As Christina said, it is definitely a work-in-progress.

Dan:

Counter is discontinuing the Session Count because it was not a very consistent metric and many publishers were reporting this figure under very different hosting conditions.  So the bottom line this data was not reliable.

However I think the sessions should be better defined and could be made useful metric.  I would suggest that someone in library land lead an effort to let Counter understand that you need this metric.  COUNTER is very responsive to their user community.  In most cases that is the publishers as most librarians do not make demands on COUNTER.

I would contact Peter and ask for the inclusion of the Session count.  It will take several librarians to make the change so you need to find some others with similar interest.

Christina:

I’ve started using the DB1 option and specifically tracking the Regular Search and Result Clicks to narrow down how many times a user will make that step to click-through on a result.  Like anything though, my usage statistics seem to be a work-in-progress.  It’s increasingly difficult to compare apples-to-apples when most of my vendors are utilizing COUNTER 4, and yet there are the select few still emailing me their own results like “page views”.

It will be interesting – and I’m sure frustrating – to see how this continues to progress.

~Nancy

"Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice."  ~ Steve Jobs