To weigh in on this, I absolutely think authority control work continues to be critical, since there are many people with similar names and making sure you have the right one is hard enough without authority control.  I was just looking for a  local author today in our online catalog and without authority control principles in force, it would have been much harder than it was – and as it was, I found an instance of the name that was outside the form established and plan to report it to the Cataloging Dept. to correct!  J

As for Discovery systems … they have a LONG way to go and I never use ours for local searching.  Looking forward to some improvements that are planned…

Eleanor I. Cook

Assistant Director for Discovery & Technology Services

Academic Library Services -- Joyner Library

East Carolina University

East Fifth Street

Greenville, NC 27858

252-328-2598