We order and renew most of our journals through our vendor, W.T. Cox, but a few we still get direct.  However, regardless of whether it is a direct or vendor subscription, I still get a renewal notice in the mail from the publisher.  I have gotten used to which ones we get direct and which ones are from the vendor, but I still check each and every one to make sure I did not miss renewing a direct subscription.  One reason I do this was to get account numbers and other information necessary to set up our online access to those we have online.  I would much rather deal with one big renewal list, but our list is around 600 or so titles.

Sincerely,

Barbara

From: "Jim Costello" <jcostello@SPRINGERPUB.COM>
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:45:49 AM
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Ordering direct from publishers

Speaking as a publisher, some but certainly not all the time, the problem will be that your subscription will be classified as from a “library” and therefore since publishers don’t send renewal notices to libraries, you might not receive one. And this of course can cause you more headaches than you want.

Jim Costello

Vice President, Journal Publishing Program

Springer Publishing Company, LLC

11 West 42nd Street, 15th Fl

New York, New York 10036

T: 212-804-6223