We also use EBSCO as our serials agent and normally I'm pretty happy with their service. However, we have a situation I'm very unhappy about. An overseas irregular publisher with whom we subscribe to a single title through EBSCO triggered an EBSCO invoice for a volume many months ago that we've never received. The publisher also claimed months ago that we can't cancel it because "it already shipped" (in April, supposedly, from South Africa - nothing takes THAT long anymore). EBSCO is insisting we pay the bill (and now we're running into late "finance charges") despite the fact that we never received the item. I thought the point of an agent was to solve problems, but in this case EBSCO has made the publishers' failure to deliver the product (that we don't even have any proof actually exists, given the irregular pub cycle) into OUR problem. It would have been easier to deal directly with the publisher because we could more easily ignore an invoice from someone we aren't doing hundreds of thousands of dollars of other business with.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian, UPEI

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Diane Westerfield <Diane.Westerfield@coloradocollege.edu> wrote:

We have EBSCO as subscription agent and LaTisha La Rue is our fantastic customer service rep at the LA center. We get wonderful service from them. We have about 570 subscriptions through EBSCO and what a pain it would be to have to renew each one separately! Whenever something odd comes up, 99% of the time EBSCONET is correct and if there are any problems, it’s usually on our end.

We have a handful of titles I have to subscribe direct for and I really dislike those. Who enjoys struggling through various websites, trying to find mailing labels, and reconciling the purchasing card statements?

Referring to the earlier delayed publication thread, I think that’s a difficulty brought about by publishers, and not the subscription agent’s fault.

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian

Tutt Library, Colorado College

diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu

(719) 389-6661

(719) 389-6082 (fax)