Just wanted to throw in that you should check for notes in the records about who originally requested/selected the journal, and was it for a specific department or professor. This may determine whether you might have some blowback if you cancel a journal that turns out to be the favorite of an active professor.  We use Innovative Millennium as our ILS; there are often notes in the order and/or checkin records regarding this information.

Our school is small enough that it’s pretty easy to talk to other librarians and find out what may cause contention. Also figure out which professor is long gone, and nobody else does research or teaching in XYZ area, so XYZ journal is almost never used and is pretty safe to cancel. If you’re a larger school it may be more of formal project.

You can also talk to any old-timers about historical blowups. Then do some investigation to see if the blower-uppers are still around. Has their attitude changed? For example, we had a professor who demanded we keep a certain journal in all 3 formats (online, print, and microform). That was maybe 10 years ago. The person is now retired and seems to appreciate the online access a lot more, and is less wedded to print. If we could gin up the funds to buy the archives, we might be able to cancel the print (and withdraw all the bound volumes) without too much bad reaction.

Of course, you are probably going to have to cancel some “potential blowup” titles, but you can identify proactively what might cause problems and figure out politic approaches to communication. (and let the faculty know that budget problems are forcing your hand.)

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian

Tutt Library, Colorado College

diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu

(719) 389-6661

(719) 389-6082 (fax)