Hi Jason,

I recently had to clean out the desk of a former employee who was…quite the collector of old invoices (we probably didn’t need invoices from 1995!)

For day to day operations, my opinion is that you only need the current year and the past year invoice for reference purposes.  Having said that, our Library has a Finance Office that keeps records of our invoices for financial reasons (like audits), so there is no need for us to duplicate records.  I would check with your finance/business department to see what you need to retain.

In case you are unaware: you can access past year invoices on EBSCOnet, under the Orders section and by going to Financial Information.  So really, you always have access to invoice information without having to retain paper copies.  Also, I do retain electronic copies of invoices for quite a while – partially because they do not take up much space, but mostly because I never get around to deleting them.

Emily

emily dara miller
acquisitions/collection development librarian

collection services

Jefferson County Public Library
10500 W. 38th Avenue
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

p 303.403.5217

emily.miller@jeffcolibrary.org

Find us on the web: jeffcolibrary.org

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  YouTube  |  Flickr

What I’m Watching Now: Wilfred