What's going to happen? Are the copyright police going to show up?

From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG] on behalf of Judith koveleskie [kovelesk@SETONHILL.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2015 8:21 PM
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] ILL Permissions for Individual E-Journals

However, with online journals we don't really own them. We are buying access and in many cases price is based on the number of users.  I think you are skating on thin ice if you lend without explicit permission to do so.

Sent from my iPad

On May 7, 2015, at 2:47 PM, Linda Wobbe <lwobbe@STMARYS-CA.EDU> wrote:

Hi,

If you haven't signed an agreement specifically prohibiting Interlibrary Loan, you don't need to go to great lengths to clarify that you do have that right. Interlibrary loan is a library right covered in Section 108 of US copyright law.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

...Linda Wobbe

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Stupp, Emma G. (CDC/OPHSS/CSELS) <egs2@cdc.gov> wrote:

We’re constantly having problems with signing licenses.  Our procurement office does not want to sign these licenses, and was recently told by one of our publishers that if you go through a subscription agent, then it’s between the agent and the publisher .  Then we wouldn’t need to sign a license agreement.  Is this normally true or perhaps this is just for that one publisher?

Emma Stupp

Team Lead, Library Operations

Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library

Library Science and Services Branch

Division of Public Health Information Dissemination

Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services (CSELS)

Office of Public Health Scientific Services (OPHSS)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

1600 Clifton Rd., MS: C04, Atlanta, GA 30329-4027

404-639-1426 (office)  404-639-1160 (fax)

egs2@cdc.gov

Telework: Tuesdays & Fridays