Hi,

I think it depends on the vendor. For example if you have a long-standing relationship (good, bad or indifferent) with a vendor you’ll want to have a relationship with the reps, especially if they’re not constantly rotating. Even if it’s just mostly email, but it’s better if you can talk to them on the phone and best if you can meet with them in person. Relationships help grease the wheels and make things easier. I make sure the reps know how we feel about products and what they can do to improve the product or process. It seems like most often the reps who come to visit, or at least call frequently, are the ones keeping us happy.

I would also say that on the rare occasions when a sales rep (from a vendor we don’t already use) shows up out of the blue, it’s never a good thing. Luckily we’re a small school in a small city and we must be an afterthought for rovers.

For vendors listening in on this conversation, I wanted to give a shoutout to companies who aren’t always reorganizing and switching people around. If we have a new rep every year it gets confusing and disorienting. I recognize that sometimes staff gets promoted but it’s nice if I can still initiate requests through that person I’m used to dealing with, and keep them CC’d on emails.

As to record keeping: I maintain the ERM module of the Millennium ILS for my library and keep rep info in the contacts record. Newest person gets input at the top and the one they’re replacing has “OLD” by their name. This is in case I get hit by a bus or something and library staff need to quickly contact a rep; they probably wouldn’t have access to my email.

Hope this helps,

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian

Tutt Library, Colorado College

diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu

(719) 389-6661

(719) 389-6082 (fax)