Hello,

The short answer to both questions is “yes” – provided that your library meets the requirements for using WorldShare Collection Manager. Our library left Serials Solutions just a year ago and implemented another link resolver called TrueSerials. This move was based on our desire to reduce costs; TrueSerials is a small outfit which provided excellent customer service at a more reasonable cost, but when we moved to WorldCat Discovery, we decided to economize further by using the WorldCat version. Our A-Z list is: https://gouchercollege.on.worldcat.org/atoztitles#journal.

The transition from TrueSerials was not as bad as I expected; most of our holdings were set up in the Collection Manager (formerly the Knowledge Base – people still seem to refer to it that way as well).

My main complaint is that there is no easy way to customize our landing page (for links coming in from outside databases) nor our A-Z list. With TrueSerials, their small but very helpful staff customized our landing page and included an ILL form. When a patron gets to the WC link resolver landing page, if we don’t have the resource (in our selected collections), it does not offer an ILL form, nor a link to search in WorldCat, which would then provide an ILL request button. The default option offered is to “Search your library catalog” which would be a dead end for us. On the plus side, when searching in WorldCat Discovery, so many of our resources appear with “View Now” buttons that the need for the link resolver may be somewhat diminished. We’ll find out when students and faculty encounter this new tool this fall.

As to the question about clean-up in WMS, I can’t speak to that, as we use Millennium for our ILS.

Hope this helps,

Barbara

Barbara Snead

Associate Librarian for Collection Services

Goucher College Library

1021 Dulaney Valley Rd.

Baltimore MD 21204

410-337-6366