From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Jason Skoog
Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM
To: "SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG"
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] OCLC's Link Resolver

Thank you for your thoughts (and sorry about the delay as I was out of the office).

I was speaking with a Librarian who planned to switch from SFX to OCLC's link resolver.  It was causing problems with WorldShare ILL, which relies on the WorldCat.org database (Illiad, which we use, uses OpenURL).  So if an article did not have a record in the WorldCat.org database, their ILL button wouldn’t appear.

Another college uses Illiad and OCLC's link resolver and did not have this problem.

He still plans to move to OCLC link resolver, but he doesn’t know when OCLC will fix the issue (Realistically they’ll probably do so next summer).  He said the SFX and WMS knowledgebases were identical so they didn’t have problems with clean up.  If we switched, he recommended testing a database first.  They planned to keep SFX around for several months as a failsafe and to catch any vendors that still have SFX info after they made the switch (which they’d see through SFX stats).

Next summer I plan to check in him for an update.  I can post here.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Tiffany LeMaistre <tiff.lemaistre@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

At Nevada State College we are currently running OCLC's link resolver alongside Serials Solutions to assess the possibility of switching to OCLC to reduce costs.

The transition was essentially as difficult as I expected it to be. Most of the major databases ported over easily with a large holdings file upload. Individual journals subscriptions were sort of sporadic. I had to check most of them individually to make sure they matched correctly into the OCLC knowledgebase.

If you profile e-books in Serials Solutions, I would recommend setting up holdings feeds from each e-book vendor directly into OCLC rather than loading a file of your e-book holdings from Serials Solutions into OCLC. The holdings feeds can be delayed (by as much as two weeks), but they are more accurate than what you will get by uploading a file to match into the OCLC knowledgebase.

I echo Barbara's concerns about interface customization with OCLC. The out of the box view is basically what you get. I will say that in terms of accuracy of actually linking from a citation to the full text, in my testing so far both products have come out about the same.

-Tiffany

--
Tiffany LeMaistre | tiffany.lemaistre@nsc.edu
Electronic Resources & Discovery Librarian

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Jason Skoog <jaskooglists@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone replaced serial solutions with OCLC's link resolver?  What kind of clean-up in WMS was involved?

We use serial solutions, but like that the cost of OCLC's link resolver is included with our OCLC package.

Thank you

--
Jason Skoog
Archivist and Systems Librarian

608-796-3262

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1