I have been working with serials since 1997.  I used to spend a great deal of time trying to complete volumes and acquire back issues mostly through BACKSERV.   However, with the increase in electronic resources, I am not sure that this is still of value.   Any gaps in the collection can be covered through interlibrary loan.

Now that we have online access, about 75% of our former print collection has been discarded.   We stopped binding in 2008 and only kept issues in Princeton files because we predicted that most of the current collection would be replaced by online and that prediction has come true.   Every time we acquire online access the print goes.  This morning I am discarding back issues for 43 more titles.

Judith A. Koveleskie, MLIS, MA
Serials Librarian
Seton Hill University
Reeves Memorial Library
1 Seton Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601-1548
kovelesk@setonhill.edu
724-838-7828
This document may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you received it in error, please contact the sender at once and destroy the document. The document may contain information subject to restrictions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Acts. Such information may not be disclosed or used in any fashion outside the scope of the service for which you are receiving the information.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Miller, Abigail S <amiller@law.utexas.edu> wrote:

Hi Monica,

Our general rule of thumb is that we will bind titles incomplete if we have current online access. This includes binding titles as incomplete if they end in the middle of a volume. We circulate individual issues to faculty and that often leaves us with gaps. We used to re-bind the volume if a missing issue was returned, but these days we don’t even do that. We will just put a permanent barcode on the loose issue and shelve it after the bound volume if necessary.

We do try to bind complete things that would be unique to our collection, such as local newsletters or items published by the institution, since we may wind up being the only complete copy.

I hope this helps.

Abigail Miller

Interim Head of Technical Services

Tarlton Law Library | Jamail Center for Legal Research

The University of Texas School of Law

727 E. Dean Keeton Street | Austin, TX 78705-3224

amiller@law.utexas.edu

512-471-1507 | 512-471-0243 [Fax]