From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG] On Behalf Of Monica Howell
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 3:16 PM
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Subject: [SERIALST] Filling in back issues of print journals?

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new serials technician and have been debating the relative merits of filling in incomplete volumes of print journals at my institution.  Sometimes there's a gap in the middle of a run that seems obvious to fill when presented with the opportunity, particularly for a title with no online access or to which we might conceivably no longer have online access at some future time.  Other times our holdings for a certain title end in the middle of a volume, and I'm left with the decision about whether to attempt to complete that volume.

What is your institution's approach to this situation?  Would you try to complete a volume at the end of your print holdings for a title?  Would it matter if you had online access, particularly if you felt your institution would always maintain that access due to the importance/status of the title?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Best,

  Monica

Monica Howell, MLS, EdS
Serials Technician, Archivist
Greenawalt Library
Northwestern Health Sciences University

2501 W. 84th St., Bloomington, MN 55431
mhowell@nwhealth.edu
P: 952-888-4777 x218

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1