From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG] On Behalf Of elmslib .
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 2:58 PM
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Filing Print Journals Alphabetically

Hi Bethany,

   We file ours alphabetically, with acronyms shelved as if they are spelled out.  For example: JAMA is shelved in the "JO" section as "Journal of the American Medical Association".

Debbie

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Goodwin, Bethany <0000000a9425f8ae-dmarc-request@listserv.nasig.org> wrote:

Greetings,

We order our print journals alphabetically word by word. I'm new enough to librarianship that I only recently discovered there was a term for it (http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet27). When I first started working with serials I was taught to put the journal titles with acronyms at the beginning of the letter and never thought much about it until one of our staff working with students complained they couldn't find a journal (AETEI Journal). I was then asked if we could reshelve them alphabetically "like people would think."

For those libraries who still own print journals and file alphabetically, do you file word by word (acronyms to the front) or letter by letter?

Thanks!

Bethany

Bethany Goodwin

Electronic Resources Supervisor

Rolfing Memorial Library | Trinity International University

2065 Half Day Road, Deerfield, IL 60015

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1

--

Debra J. (Debbie) Gomes
Associate Director & Head of Library Technology

F: 413-594-7418

E: library@elms.edu

W: www.elms.edu/library