Of course, they'd have a better shot of being used if they were interfiled with the books as well. I've only had one experience of a library that did this, and it was when I was an MLS student, but I found journals I didn't know existed when I happened to follow book call numbers to the shelves. I've long since thought that that was by far the better way and don't really understand why we all don't do that.

Assuming that's just not an option,  I highly recommend posting signs listing titles alphabetically (whatever shelving order you use now) with their new call numbers, throughout the compact shelving area, so people don't have to access a computer to get the call number when they go down there.

Finally, wow, I wish I had lots of extra student hours to work on projects that large! Envy here...

Melissa

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Hwang, Amy L <Amy.Hwang@enc.edu> wrote:

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my questions so far. Let me clarify and explain a little bit about why we’re considering this.

1.       The bound periodicals would remain in the basement in our compact shelving rather than being interfiled with books.

2.       I had a meeting with a chemistry faculty member who didn’t realize that the library has many back issues related to chemistry, and she requested that we order them by subject so that her students could more easily find them. (We don’t have the budget to get some of the ACS titles full text online, so we are stuck with the print for now.)

3.       We have done a good deal of weeding over the past few years based on our JSTOR collections and back issues for some titles being open access now.

4.       We no longer bind our periodicals, and we don’t barcode each issue. The call number in our catalog is “periodical” for all of them.

5.       We still subscribe to ~90 print titles and feel that they would have a better shot at being used if they were grouped by subject/major category).

There are plenty of other projects we could/should be thinking about, but we have some student workers this summer who could use more to do. While we have the extra help, I thought this might be a good project to consider.

Thank you again for all your responses,

Amy

Amy L. Hwang, MLS | Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian | Nease Library, Eastern Nazarene College | 23 E. Elm Ave., Quincy, MA 02170 | 617-745-3854

My library is considering classifying our bound periodicals this summer. Up until now, they’ve always been in title order. Has anyone done this recently? Do you have any advice or tips for making this process less painful?

Thank you,

Amy Hwang

Amy L. Hwang, MLS | Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian | Nease Library, Eastern Nazarene College | 23 E. Elm Ave., Quincy, MA 02170 | 617-745-3854

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1

--
Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian