From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG] On Behalf Of Emily Judith Ray
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 1:06 PM
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] how do you track perpetual ownership rights to serials?

I'd be interested in hearing ways to do this, too. We're doing it by notes in the order records, double checking ebsconet, etc. I'd like a more systematic approach. We just started experimenting with CORAL, but haven't gotten very far.

thanks,

Emily

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Melissa Belvadi <mbelvadi@upei.ca> wrote:

As we continue to cancel individual journals due to budget shortfalls, it is getting harder and harder to track what volumes of what journals we have perpetual access rights to, and on what platform.

For instance, if a journal changes ownership years after we've closed our holdings, we may have to go out of our way to activate our ownership rights on the new platform. Sometimes the older volumes follow the new owner, sometimes not. Sometimes third party platforms like IngentaConnect are involved.

Then there are the Big Deals, some of which include perpetual access rights to just "core" titles, some to the entire packages, and the titles going in and out of all those every year.

How is everyone managing all this? In catalogue records? In spreadsheets? In ERMs?

And if there's a dispute 10 years down the road, can you find the purchasing/licensing documentation to prove your claim to those volumes?

I'd love to hear from someone who feels fairly confident that they stay on top of these changes, to please share your secrets!

--

Melissa Belvadi

Collections Librarian

University of Prince Edward Island

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1

--

Emily Ray

Metadata and Discovery Services Librarian

Collections and Archives

Technology and Digital Initiatives

University of Arkansas at Little Rock

2801 S. University Ave.