At one library, we set retention periods based on the height of a stack of papers on the shelf. The periodicals room staff told us that stacks over a foot high tended to get messy quickly, so our goal was to limit stacks to 12 inches high. As I recall, we ended with a two-week retention period for dailies, a two-month period for weeklies and biweeklies, and a six month period for monthlies. The only exception was our local paper; we kept several stacks for it and discarded as microfilm copy arrived. – Ginger Williams

From: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG] On Behalf Of Mark Winek
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:56 PM
To: SERIALST@LISTSERV.NASIG.ORG
Subject: [SERIALST] newspaper retention periods

Do you have a rule of thumb for how long you retain newspapers on the shelf?

We receive a variety of international and domestic newspapers that are dailies, weeklies, biweeklies and monthlies. All are discarded after a variety of time periods. I'm trying to standardize that based on the publication frequency and I'm wondering if others have a rule of thumb that works. Any information is helpful!

Mark Winek

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1