Thanks to all of you for your quick responses! All of the responses match my perspective too: we have a reputation to uphold and this is a joint responsibility between vendor and library. Since it came up for us recently, I was just curious to know if there were other perspectives or policies.

Cheers,
Mark Winek
Georgetown University

Library-logo-ES.png

Mark D. Winek

Unit Head, Electronic Resources & Serials

202-687-0774

mdw65@georgetown.edu

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Michael A. Wood <mawood@med.cornell.edu> wrote:

I recalled this has happened to us in the past and we paid up as well.  Fortunately, the amounts were not large so our budget was able to absorb them.   I think the responsibility is on both party.  In some cases, when the vendor forgets to invoice us for an electronic resource we end up losing access.  In many cases, all of this is automated and sometimes that fails.  Having access is critical for us so we keep on top of the invoices.  I oversee many of the invoice processing so I have an idea as to when invoices should be arriving.   I review my list about once a month.  I have about two vendors that I have to remind them every year about invoicing us.

We currently don’t have an ILS that provides triggers on subscription terms but having that in place can be helpful.

-Michael

Michael A. Wood

Assistant Head, Resource Management &

Qatar Liaison Librarian

Weill Cornell Medicine

S. J. Wood Library & C. V. Starr Biomedical Information  Center

1300 York Ave., C-115

New York, NY 10065

T 646-962.2471

mawood@med.cornell.edu