From: Melissa Belvadi [mailto:mbelvadi@UPEI.CA]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: Revenue generating academic libraries

We generate revenue from groups external to our university in two ways:

1. We are the creators of Islandora, an open source system for organizing, preserving, and displaying all kinds of binary files, including documents, images, data sets, etc. Our systems office does billable work supporting this mostly for other regional library-related organizations. We actually spun off a for-profit company for providing "software as a service" support on an international scale.

2. We have through past external grants amassed a pretty powerful set of digitization equipment and in-house expertise, and we offer our services in doing digitization projects for local external organizations on a fee basis.  http://library.upei.ca/ebm/services

I'm only tangentially involved in any of this though and couldn't answer your questions about whether it brings in enough revenue to be worth the staff time.

Melissa Belvadi, UPEI

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Carissa Hernandez <serialscreed@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I have been tasked to research ways in which an academic library could possibly be a revenue producing entity at a small university. I have done a literature search, but thought I would pose this question to the collective wisdom (Apologies for cross-posting).

Any libraries out there that have engaged in revenue generating activities and what have these activities been? What ideas did you come up with? How successful were they? What was more trouble than it was worth? What can a library expect to generate (at best)?

with thanks,

Carissa

Catalog Librarian

To unsubscribe from the SERIALST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.nasig.org/scripts/wa-NASIG.exe?SUBED1=SERIALST&A=1

--

Melissa Belvadi

Collections Librarian