I was contacted recently by Grant Kaestner with Advantage Preservation about their microfilming services. He says: Advantage has over 40 years, combined experience, in the microfilm and digitization industry. Normally, we charge $305.00/reel to film a reel of content.  That said, if there are multiple subscribers to a title, such as the local public library , we can start offering rates around $175 - $200/reel.  If you can provide more information on the titles you're interested in, we'd be glad to provide microfilming subscription quotes.

I am in Texas but his address is in Iowa. You can contact him to see if they provide services in your area. I haven’t had a chance to investigate the services yet.

Advantage Preservation

Grant Kaestner – Account Manager

­­­­­­­1025 33rd Ave. SW

Cedar Rapids, IA 52404

Phone: (319) 249-5426

Cell: 319-721-5170

Fax: 319-362-1563

grant@advantagearchives.com

http://www.advantagearchives.com/preservation/services/digital-c

He provided the following pricing which you can follow-up on with him.

Pricing:

Microfilming & Digitizing Hard Copy Newspapers:  $425.00’s per reel (Gets client 1 silver halide roll film copy & newspaper content completely indexed and OCR’d to searchable website (900 pages of newspapers fits on 1 microfilm reel)

 Digitizing Newspapers Already on Microfilm: (Includes, indexing & making key word searchable):  $127’s, per reel

 Digitizing Historic Documents on Microfilm:  .11 cents per scan (.08 scan, +.01 crop/vss, .02 OCR)

 Yearbook Images From OCI:  15 cents, per scanned image (Approx. $35/book)

 Digitizing Yearbooks:  $75’s/Yearbook (Scanned in 300 DPI, Color Scans) (Includes Indexing & OCR)

 Flat Bed Scanning Documents: .40 -.50 cents per page

 Indexing Documents: 1 cent per keystroke

 Duplicating Microfilm Reels:  $65’s per reel

 Searchable Hard Drive Copy of Database:  $250’s per hard drive (One hard drive holds over 550,000 pages of content)

 One Time Website Set Up Fee (Hosting is Free after website is created):  $500’s

 Document Preparation:  $50’s/hr.  Newspapers have to be flattened, ironed, put in order, etc. before filming.  Advantage averages one hour of prep, per every 1,000 pages of document preparation.  If you send us 4,000 pages of newspapers, to digitize, estimate 4 hours of prep, for a total of $200’s, in prep cost.

Teri Oparanozie

Assistant Professor

Head of Library Acquisitions & Serials

Sam Houston State University

Box 2179

Huntsville, TX  77341

936-294-1623/936-294-3282 fax

LIB_TLO@SHSU.EDU

For correspondence about renewals, invoices, and licenses,

please use: LIB_ERL@SHSU.EDU