Dear Melissa

Some initial thoughts from the COUNTER executive who hope that some other libraries also share their findings.

Most likely explanation for differences within platform we think is

  1. Some journals come in just one format while others have PDF and HTML. For example, Wiley backfiles are PDF only.
  2. Depending on the way a library’s users usually find the articles (Google vs. discovery tool vs A&I database vs personal bookmarks), they may land on different page types – either the one they want or one from where they have to navigate to the one they want.

It would be interesting to see the values for total and PDF usage from R4 for comparison. We assume they would also show a signification variation on a single platform.

The Total_Item_Requests of course correspond to the R4 total usage (ft_total in XML), which isn't necessarily the sum of PDF and HTML usage, because there might be additional formats ePub, etc.

Kind regards

Lorraine

p.s. do feel free to share these comments with the list if that is helpful.