Some years ago, we did a major reshifting of our Bound Periodicals that took into account the fact that the overwhelming majority of that collection was "closed" holdings, so we actually adjusted each individual shelf to optimize space usage as we shifted. That is, if an entire bay (column of shelves) had relatively short volumes on it, we fit 7 shelves vertically instead of 6.  And we took advantage of the chance to re-classify titles that had changed size from oversize to not or vice versa as some titles changed size significantly mid-run.  We did this with students assistants during the Christmas break when the library was closed for 2 weeks, because it was VERY noisy moving all those metal shelves and close to our most quiet study spaces.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi@upei.ca  902-566-0581
Make an appointment via YouCanBookMe

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 12:18 PM Johnson, Kay <kjohnson497@radford.edu> wrote:

I’m not sure what you are asking.  Are you moving volumes, shelving, both?

There are many factors, and every collection and library is different.  For instance, our Spacesavers shelving is generally 7 feet tall, we usually have 7 or 8 vertical sections in a range between main aisles.   We try to keep the aisles as a minimum of three feet wide within the stacks, and 4 feet wide for the main aisles for ADA purposes. We mostly use 3 feet-long shelves, but there are some sections, especially around columns, that have 2 or 1 foot-long shelves.  Shelving length is usually not quite what the manufacturer says it is, but three feet is close enough for measurement purposes.  The range between the top of one shelve to the top of the one below or above it is usually 13 inches for books, 15 inches for bound journals, though we move the shelves around as needed in our oversize and journals collections to accommodate larger volumes.  We have to keep 15 inches clearance for our sprinklers, so don’t put books on the top shelves.  We have used the average figure of 1.5” spine width for our collections, but our bound journals average tends to be closer to 2 inches, and our books are often less wide than 1.5 inches.  We may have 6 or 7 shelves per vertical range.

For shelving-unit moving projects, the volumes will need to be pulled and stored temporarily.  For volume-moving projects, the linear feet of the collection needs to be estimated to fit into its new shelving location, and then you can cart the volumes to the new location.  For moving the physical shelving units, it’s helpful to have to scale CAD floor plans of the space, though you can also measure the space yourselves.  I hope you have Facilities Department help, if that’s the case.

-          Kay

Kay G. Johnson

Head, Collection and Technical Services

McConnell Library, Radford University