We put most journals in the cardboard boxes, but we still bind a few for which we are the regional "library of record" and have a special responsibility to preserve. The big problem with leaving issues loose in the boxes is the much greater tendency for an issue to get stolen/damaged. We can live with that for ordinary journals, but not those critical ones.

Steve, you may want to check with Wallaceburg to see if they can do better for you: http://www.wbmbindery.com/
They're in Canada, which will give you an edge on currency conversion in terms of pricing as the Canadian dollar is rather weak right now compared to the US dollar, although it may mean longer turnaround time due to cross-border shipping/customs.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi@upei.ca  902-566-0581
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-4433-0189
Make an appointment via YouCanBookMe

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM Steve Oberg <steve.oberg@wheaton.edu> wrote:

I’d like to provide a different perspective from the responses I’ve read thus far. Reading them, there seems a consensus that not binding is the way to go. Although I don’t deal with managing our print serials collection any more, that group reports into me.

My library continues to bind journals and I am a strong proponent of doing so. This stuff is expensive, not just to purchase but to manage. We have a big investment in it. We’ve spent quite a bit of time reshaping our print journal collection to ensure we acquire content that is core to the disciplines we support. Part of our core definition is longterm preservation and access. There is no better guarantee of longterm preservation of print journals than good binding, in my view.

Over the last ten years our print subscriptions have deliberately been sharply reduced in favor of online access, but we still subscribe to around 300 or so print journals, and I don’t see that number going down significantly for a long time. So in part, we have reduced our binding costs that way, although they are still significant. Our bindery was recently purchased by and consolidated with a sort of conglomerate. They sharply raised prices and imposed conditions that required us to rethink the binding frequency workflow (minimum number of boxes per shipment) and so on. It’s been a pain in the neck, and I wish we had more binding options, but on their side, I’m sure they’re coping with reduced flow of materials to bind as libraries stop binding and/or switch to online.

Another aspect of our local situation worth mentioning is that last year, we moved our entire inventory of bound journals into remote storage. I think the total number was around 60,000 vols., and was done as a key piece of allowing us the swing/growth space to convert our entire print collection of books from Dewey to LC. As part of that process, we implemented a high quality scanner located in remote storage along with a daily workflow whereby students/staff receive article requests and can scan articles onsite for delivery through ILLiad. Good binding is a critical piece of being able to deliver high quality scans. And bound journals in storage are yes, still being used quite a bit. As we continue to add new volumes for current subscriptions, the remote storage collection continues to grow as well.

Hopefully this perspective gives food for thought. As with other libraries, budgets will grow increasingly tight and we may finally be forced to rob Peter to pay Paul. I don’t know.

Steve

Steve Oberg

Assistant Professor and Group Leader for Resource Description and Digital Initiatives

Buswell Library | Wheaton College (IL) | +1 (630) 752-5852

Make an appointment

From: <serialst@simplelists.com> on behalf of Matthew Person <mperson@mbl.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:25 AM
To: LeAnne Rumler <lrumler@hillsdale.edu>, "serialst@simplelists.com" <serialst@simplelists.com>, Rola Hajj <rhage@lau.edu.lb>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] binding issue.

Yes...we stopped binding about 15 years ago. As LeAnne says, if your bound issues are not well used, string, nothing, magazine boxes, plastic bags, all can do the job.

Good luck, Matt

Matthew Person

Marine Biological Laboratory

MBLWHOI Library