Steve,

No, they don't have independent volume numbering. Each volume is identified by the years covered in each volume. Hence why I'm perplexed as to how to handle this.

- Alexis

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Steven C Shadle <shadle@uw.edu> wrote:
HI Alexis,

Do the volumes have any independent numbering (meaning is first volume published in 2019 somehow numbered or identified as vol. 1 are 1st volumes)?  If so, that is your first issue, no matter what is happening chronologically with the content.  Being published out of chronological sequence (or retrospectively) can be handled by notes.

Steve Shadle
Head, Serials Cataloging
University of Washington Libraries

From: serialst@simplelists.com <serialst@simplelists.com> on behalf of Alexis Zirpoli <alexismz@umich.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 9:22 AM
To: serialst@simplelists.com <serialst@simplelists.com>
Subject: [SERIALST] Retrospective volumes - how to treat

I'm writing to ask if anyone has dealt with this before. I have this title, The Guernsey Law Reports. They began publishing the reports in print in 2019, starting with a volume of reports from the years 2000-2002. Now they are issuing retrospective volumes, with reports prior to 2000. I have no idea how far back in time the publisher is going to go.

My question is this: what do I do about recording start dates for the time periods covered by the Reports, since they will be covering reports issued in the future, as well as the past? I suppose that, technically, they began with 2000, because that was the first volume published. But now that they are publishing retrospective volumes, we don't know when they actually "began". Would you just cover this with a note field? Or do something else?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

- Alexis

--
Alexis Zirpoli (they/them/theirs)
Serials Librarian

University of Michigan Law School - Law Library
734-647-1563
801 Monroe Street, S-110B Legal Research
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1210