Hi Jenny,

In addition to procedural and workflow suggestions you receive, my suggestion would be to raise the issue of the campus politics of a major deselection project on a very short timeline, not to undercut the plan but to make it more likely to be successful.

We all know that faculty can be tetchy and proprietary about “their” collection. Library folks want to rationally point to how low usage is and how so much is online and how the space can be better utilized to meet campus needs. And many faculty will either not care or trust the library as the professionals. But library collections have emotional resonance and there is a risk that some immediately jump to images of dumpsters of books. Trust is hard to build and easy to damage.

And it is not just that a few grumps might be mad after the fact. A small number of faculty can grind a project to a halt, which is UC Santa Cruz librarians described after a faculty member wrote an article in the local newspaper.

You know best how deselection has been done in the past and your library’s relationship with your faculty. I think it is worth the time on the front end to get buy in rather than risk an outcry and need to respond to that.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Johnson-Grau

Head of Acquisitions & Collection Development

William H. Hannon Library
Loyola Marymount University
1 LMU Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659