Re: EBSCO free magazines (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 05 Jan 2000 22:23 UTC

3 messages, 70 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:53:43 -0600
From:         Carrie Ferm <alicf@AUGUSTANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: EBSCO free magazines (16 messages)

I just called the 800 number on the card that announces what is being sent
next.  I spoke with a very pleasant person who said she would cancel all the
subscriptions to our address.  I did this once before and that is when we
started getting 2 issues of everything.  I wait to see what will happen.

Carrie Ferm
Augustana College Library
Periodical Section
Rock Island, Il  61201

Phone:  (309)794-7316   Fax: (309) 794-7230
e-mail: alicf@loki.augustana.edu

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:26:14 -0500
From:         Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: EBSCO free magazines
Comments: To: Karen Chobot <chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>

I called them this afternoon.  Not only were they sending one copy to the
library, they were sending a second copy to an individual in the building
(who didn't want them).  The customer support (number 1-800-803-6115)
staff told me they would cancel the individuals copy immediately; I
didn't ask her to cancel the other--we set it up as a temporary retention
in browsing.

They were sending YM (certainly not college/university material!), Self,
Fitness and ESPN.  We figured our patrons might enjoy current copies of
all but YM, and it would take as much time to look up for why we were
getting/what to do with/dispose of as to simply checkin and put in
browsing.  I put a note on my calendar at the end of the year to go pull
all Jan-June issues and will mark June 2001 to dispose of July-Dec.

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626
<dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>

(3)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:28:58 -0600
From:         Mary Williams <mwilliams@TARLETON.EDU>

We are getting "free" subscriptions to American Heritage (2 copies) and
some of the glossies previously mentioned.  Some of them go in the staff
room, but most end up in the trash.  I'm concerned about the land fill
problems these are creating.

--
Mary W. Williams
Periodicals Librarian