Re: EBSCO free magazines (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 06 Jan 2000 22:24 UTC

3 messages, 165 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:04:30 EST
From:         Elizabeth Horn <horn_elizabeth@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: EBSCO free magazines

Not to continue a discussion that has ended for the majority (but I will
anyway). But I would like to get others' opinions on this as well, because
I find it an interesting aspect of librarianship. In response to "If you
have YM on your shelves for a year, you may create an expectation that it
will be there next year.  What do you do when your readers are looking for
it next year and can't find it?", I would ask: if our patrons want and
enjoy the publication, isn't that an indication that we should add it to
the collection? Granted, this is the goal of "gift subscriptions," to rope
us in to subscribing to some pretty idiotic magazines, but who am I to
judge the tastes of my public? When they want and expect YM, should I
place Aviation Week & Space Technology in their hands? If the demand is
high enough for Self, YM, or another magazine, shouldn't that be an
indication that we should make changes to please our public? This is
probably a moot point for most Academics, because it's not an Academic
Library's job to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy and happy. But speaking
from the Public Library perspective, I don't think we should ignore a
chance to find out what our patrons really want out of our collection.
What do others think?

Thanks,
Beth

Elizabeth Horn
Reference and Serials Librarian
Roanoke City Public Library
Roanoke, VA
<horn_elizabeth@HOTMAIL.COM>

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:53:49 -0500
From:         Lynne Stevens <lstevens@RMWC.EDU>

About the time I was reading these postings this morning, my EBSCO rep
called me about something else.  I told her that I did not want to receive
these "free" titles, that it took staff time, and therefore money, even to
deal with and recycle these issues, and that I did not like feeling that
as their customers we were being put on a list to receive what amounted to
junk mail and advertising.  She implied that other customers had asked not
to receive these, and asked me to submit my request not to receive them in
writing (e-mail is fine).

So: I have requested to EBSCO that we not receive any of these "free"
subscriptions at any time, stating my reasons for my request.  I e-mailed
it to my service rep, and copied the message to Dixon Brooke, Vice
President & Division General Manager (the name on the card announcing my
"gift").

I hope the rest of you who are less than thrilled with this new foray into
magazine jobber "services" will do likewise.  ;-)

Lynne N. Stevens
Serials Coordinator
Lipscomb Library
Randolph-Macon Woman's College
lstevens@rmwc.edu
804 947-8133/FAX 804 947-8134

#816-501-4143
<buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>

Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:10:59 -0500
From:         "Susan E. Sturgeon" <ssturgeo@SALEM.MASS.EDU>

It would be my hope that Ebsco would have the courtesy to ask libraries if
they want to receive these "free" magazines.  Choosing to not do that is
to choose to antagonize those who find them more of a nuisance than
anything else.  That can not be good public relations for Ebsco.

SUSAN STURGEON
SERIALS DEPARTMENT
SALEM STATE COLLEGE LIBRARY
352 LAFAYETTE ST.