Serials weeding & retention issues (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 12 Jan 2000 17:42 UTC

Editor's note:  What follows are two messages, apparently unrelated --
though the SERIALST moderators received them within 15 minutes of each
other.  Basically they ask similar questions for information about weeding
and retention policies.  Responses to SERIALST would be appreciated, so
that information can be shared (no doubt, others are also interested).
Thanks.  -Birdie MacLennan, Moderator

2 messages, 57 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:39:10 -0500
From:         Amy Gunn <agunn@MC3.EDU>
Subject:      Serials retention policies

We are a community college (about 33 years old) and for the first time
really facing some severe shelving issues.  Our periodicals are kept in an
area alone (of about 12, 4-6 unit ranges; it really is quite large), not
classified and shelved in the stacks.  We have open stacks, so not much is
done in the way of use statistics except for the things that are requested
form the storage facility on campus.  If anyone would be able to share
some of their trials and policy statements for serials retention we would
be appreciative.  How long do you keep the news magazines, like Time,
Newsweek, Sports Illustrated and US News?  Do you have a storage facility
on campus for older titles?  What constitutes older titles?  If you "weed"
periodical runs without getting rid of an entire title, how do you base
your decisions?

Please feel free to contact me personally.
Amy Gunn
agunn@mc3.edu
Public/Electronic Services Librarian
Montgomery County Community College
Blue Bell, PA

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:52:47 EST
From:         Elizabeth Horn <horn_elizabeth@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Weeding & retention issues

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an article/book/resource that is
especially helpful in its discussion of retention and weeding decisions
preferably (but not necessarily) in Public Libraries. I am embarking on a
large project to cut fat and reclaim space and have compiled a bibliography
from my lit search- but was curious as to what resources others have found
to be helpful. Also, any advice or practical experience info would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Beth Horn

Elizabeth Horn