Re: Need help setting up user-level security for an Access 97 -- L. Hunter Kevil Stephen D. Clark 07 Feb 2000 14:18 UTC

Overnight I took a look at Roger Jennings' _Using Access 97 (Platinum
edition_). Chapter 25, pp.877-924, "Securing Multiuser Network
Applications," should contain most, if not all, the answers you need.
Subchapter titles include: Maintaining database security, Permissions
for
database objects, and Sharing databases on the network. Jennings also
discusses issues such as splitting the database for security. You can
learn
a lot from this impressive book.

Buddy, you can contact me privately about your problem.

Hunter

L. Hunter Kevil,
Collection Development Librarian,
176 Ellis Library,
University of Missouri-Columbia,
Columbia, MO 65201
Voice:  573-884-8760
Fax:    573-882-6034
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:24:37 -0600
From:         Diane Neumeister <DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Need help setting up user-level security for an Access

              97 database

Since Michelle and I are not the only ones interested in this
information
(most of the replies I've received have been requests for information),
I'll be happy to summarize to the list in a week or so.

So far, the main book people are recommending is: Using Access 97 (or
Using Microsoft Access 97) by Que Corp or an earlier or later edition of

the book, depending on what version of MS Access is being used.

Di

Diane Neumeister
Serials Asst.
Wahlert Memorial Library
Loras College
Dubuque, IA, USA

phone: 319-588-4969
fax: 319-588-7292
e-mail: dneumeis@loras.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:27:26 -0600
From: "       "Kevil, L H." <KevilL@MISSOURI.EDU>

97
database

The best book on Access 97 I have seen is:

Roger Jennings, Using Access 97 (Platinum edition). Que, 1997, $65 list,

hardback, with CD. ISBN: 0-789714116

It is at home so I cannot verify that it covers security in detail, but
would be surprised if it did not. Jennings knows his stuff. Of course
now
that I am using Access 2000, I don't use that book any more. Jennings
did
write a new Special edition Using Access 2000, which I like a little
better
than Cary Prague's Access 2000 Bible. Both authors really know their
stuff.

(3)--------------------------
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:05:50 -0600
From:         "Buddy Pennington" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>

97
database

I am so glad this is on the list as well.  We are dealing with the same
problem.  We want users to be able to view the records in the database
without a password, but if anyone tried to make changes to it, they
would
have to enter a password.  Can this be done, and how?

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu