Re: Title Changes and shelving -- 2 messages Stephen D. Clark 08 Feb 2000 13:20 UTC

2 messages:

1)----------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Title Changes and shelving -- 2 messages
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 17:57:01 -0500
From: kathleen <kathleen@sjsu.edu>

We have no problem with this, as we shelve by call number -- and have
for years.  I'm a little surprised by David Goodman's comment that
having things shelved by call number makes things worse: our patrons
(students & faculty) have to know a book's call number in order to find
it, so they see nothing out of the way or different in having to get the
journal's call number before looking for it.  In many ways, it makes it
easier for them when the policy is <always> "in order to find something
you need the call number".  It also means that other journals on the the
same subject are nearby, and if a patron is just browsing it makes their
task so much easier.

Kathleen Thorne
Kathleen Thorne, Serials Cataloger
San Jose State University, San Jose CA 95192-0028
ph: (408) 924-2826   fax: (408) 924-2701
email: kathleen@email.sjsu.edu

---Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines---