Re: Santa Fe Open Archive Convention Released Today -- Simon Buckingham Shum Stephen D. Clark 16 Feb 2000 15:43 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Santa Fe Open Archive Convention Released Today
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:32:22 -0500
From: Simon Buckingham Shum <S.Buckingham.Shum@OPEN.AC.UK>

At 6:15 pm -0000 15/2/00, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:25:57 -0500
>> From: Antonella Pavese <pavese@SHRSYS.HSLC.ORG>
>> Another very serious issue associated with our current publishing
>> system, however, is that of the geological times required to publish
>> any work. If one wants to publish in one of the leading journals in our
>> area, for example the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
>> Perception and Performance, it may take many months just to receive the
>> reviews, and even after complete acceptance, the waiting time for
>> publication is more than one year. This means that it takes AT LEAST
>> three years of work to see your work published. Reading the current
>> literature is like to watch a far star: what you see is what happened
>> many years ago.
>
>Although implementing online refereeing by journals will speed up the
>peer review somewhat, spreading the nets wider and faster, and
>distributing the refereeing load more equally, refereeing delays are as
>unavoidable as other delays in the duties of heavily loaded researchers.
>Please do not confuse the delays inherent in the use of a finite human
>resource, referees, who referee for free, with the other delays of
>publication, which are no longer necessary (such as the delay in
>coming out in print, or the delays inherent in the need to resort to
>interlibrary loan if one's institution cannot afford a subscription).

We have been implementing online, *interactive* peer review (ie. authors
and reviewers can engage in a discussion) in JIME, the Jnl. of
Interactive
Media in Education <http://www-jime.open.ac.uk>. Our technological
infrastructure for document peer review is available for anyone to use
(as
happily, will soon be the case for e-print archives), so this is not a
bottleneck issue. JIME submissions are published as preprints as soon as
reviewers have been appointed, and final versions published as soon as
received. The notion of a calendar "issue" is now irrelevant (though
thematic issues are of course valuable).

It is, as Stevan points out, the *reviewers* who are typically the
bottleneck, as they're so busy and unpaid -- intellectual added value
doesn't come cheap. However, because we specify a set period (about a
month) for the asynchronous web-based review discussion, having verified
that period with the authors' and reviewers' diaries, and set their
expectations to aim for a productive dialogue, we usually get a
reasonable
degree of participation (but not always). In other words, this may be a
case of the medium changing the review process. I'd also add that once
the
reviewers have done their work, the authors are often slow in revising -
possibly 2 months added to publicaiton time.

Average publication time ~6 months -- noting again that relatively
little
of this is due to the technology of publication, although of course,
working with digital documents and multimedia demonstrations adds its
own
unique twists.

Simon

 Dr Simon Buckingham Shum              Knowledge  Media  Institute
 The Open University                   Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA,  UK
 Mailto:sbs@acm.org
 http://kmi.open.ac.uk/sbs/            Tel: +44 (0)1908-655723
 Fax: +44 (0)870-122-8765 (personal)   +44 (0)1908-653169 (office)
 Jnl. Interactive Media in Education:  http://www-jime.open.ac.uk