Serials control to kardex (Mary Page) Marcia Tuttle 22 Mar 2000 20:41 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:33:37 -0400
From: Mary Page <mspage@RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: serials control to kardex

Achieving efficiencies in serials processing isn't the reason to
automate.  There is no evidence -- in our profession or any other --
that investing in information technology yields any increase in
efficiency or productivity.  The "productivity paradox" has been written
about extensively in the business literature.  Some studies show that
productivity has decreased overall in the US since the 1970's; other
studies show that IT invesments have increased manufacturing outputs
slightly, but that output in the information/service sectors have
actually dropped.

There are still very good reasons to automate serials operations, most
of which Rachel mentioned in her original post about this topic.  In
multi-library settings, all libraries have access to information that
formerly was accessible only on-site or via a phone consultation.
Patrons have better information about what issues have arrived.  And,
it's easier to share information about holdings with other libraries in
consortia.

My point is:  the primary reason to automate serials operations is to
provide more precise information about serials holdings to patrons, and,
if applicable, to staff at other sites. With that said, efficiencies CAN
be achieved by disecting your workflows (which in many cases, automation
forces you to do).  But, it's doubtful that automation alone will
increase productivity.

Just another 2 cents...
Mary Page
Rutgers