Re: Oklahoman librarians (Ian Woodward) Marcia Tuttle 06 Mar 2000 22:36 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:33:56 -0500
From: Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Oklahoman librarians (Dana Belcher)

        We have made use of USBE.  I have not sent an order to them in a
year or more, so some of the foregoing  may be out of date.
        The material is inexpensive.  They charge by bibliographic issue,
not by physical item.  Any bibliographic issue in their inventory carries
the same price. Only a modest fraction of what you seek is generally
available. They offer you no quotes, nor do they offer an inventory.  They
do provide a 'shelf list' of titles that it is their policy to acquire, but
that is all.  The procedure followed is to fax them a requisition of which
they will send the available items and a bill.  It takes a couple of weeks
to receive a shipment.  It seems to me that at one time they may have
dispatched a courtesy note acknowledging your order and also one informing
you if nothing sought was available, but I believe this is done no longer.
You may call them to follow up on your order.  Some of their employees are
agreeable as you would expect of someone whose job entails dealing with the
public, and some are not.       They do provide an annual coupon to their
members which entitles you to twenty free issues.  If I recall correctly,
the credits due from the coupon must be applied to just one requisition,
without reference to what share of the issues requested are to be found in
stock.
        There practices differ from Alfred Jaeger, who offer quotes and an
inventory, and also from Ebsco, who offer an online inventory.  USBE is a
non-commercial outlet, and this may explain the difference.  In my limited
experience, the material on sale from Jaeger and Ebsco is more expensive,
though I prefer their methods of service delivery.  IW

I. Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries
13 Oak Dr.