Serials module to kardex (Rachel Hollis) Marcia Tuttle 21 Mar 2000 14:16 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:49:12 PST
From: 5704P@VM1.CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
Subject: serials module to kardex

Has any library considered, investigated or actually migrated from the
serials module to kardex?  there are murmuring here about investigating just
such a move.  while the serials module makes claiming easier (once the
reports are properly written), handy information is available to patrons in
the form of the "latest issues note/599 field" and for sites using the
feature, additions in the form of item records and holdings information can
be really easy, the amount of time it takes to manage the system is viewed
as unbearable by some of the managers here.  also maintenance of the records
and check-in is about twice as time consuming and we simply do not have the
staff available to maintain and manage the module.  it seems that we do have
the staff to manage and maintain a kardex.  i'm not sure if the management
wants to make the staff fit the services or the services fit the staff.
what i know is that a strong voice is advocating going back to the kardex
and the director has lately asked me some pointed questions about what the
module really does for the library.  i'd like to know if we are the first to
consider such a move.

cheers,

Rachel Hollis, Serials Librarian   _/    _/   _/_/_/    _/_/_/
Naval Postgraduate School         _/_/  _/   _/   _/  _/_/
Monterey California              _/  _/_/   _/_/_/       _/
5704p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil       _/    _/   _/       _/_/_/

http://web.nps.navy.mil/%7erahollis