Serials Module to Kardex (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 21 Mar 2000 15:45 UTC

----------(1)
>From chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU Tue Mar 21 10:43:07 2000
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:52:22 -0600
From: Karen Chobot <chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>
Subject: Re: Serials module to kardex (Rachel Hollis)

Hi - I hope that you will take a long look at what you actually do on the
serials module before considering any change back to paper records.  I
personally never would go back, and I seriously doubt that you will save
any time whatsoever.  Initially, our library spent a great deal of time
setting up the serials records, predicting patterns, transferring all
notes, and so on.  We hired extra student help one summer in order to get
all issues barcoded transferred, and it took us another 3 or so years to
verify and clear everything before we got rid of the kardex.  However, I
feel that now the system takes care of itself quite nicely and everything
flows well.  Claims and reports are infinitely faster.  I would suggest
that you first look at your work flow and procedures to see where
streamlining and improving could be done.  In particular, you mention that
check-in takes twice as long.  My experience is that we take about half
the time to check in most issues.  The problems and snags that need fixing
are set aside and handled individually, and that brings the average time
to about the same as kardex check-in.  Add in that you get superior
information for catching problems, pulling items that are routed, or
anything additional, and I am still convinced the module is mora
efficient.

I would also suspect you are not using any of the other features to their
fullest capabilities.  I can pull circulation reports, binding reports,
and a whole variety of other things.  Every time I decide I need a new
report - which I just did last month for some decision making - I spend an
afternoon with the report writer getting it set up.  From now on, that new
report will come automatically.  I never have to think about doing it
again.  And every time I set up a report, I think of another way to use
it, as well. My collection development is improving!

Also a major consideration for us is that the serials module is integrated
with the OPAC.  It is possible to see the serials information from any
computer, and this sharing online is essential for the students and
patrons to look at.  The kardex is available - and understandable - only
to the library staff.  If you don't want to share this information with
the patrons, and they don't care about it, why do you even buy
periodicals? Certainly, the patrons want to know and will be much happier
if they can look it up via the OPAC, particularly when they are not in the
library.

For me the bottom line is that the conveniences and time saving factors of
the majority of the use of the serials module more than overwhelms any
individual instances of greater time use.  (An example of this is fixing
the prediction patterns every time the periodical alters its publication
rate, changes a title, or any of those wierd periodical decisions
publishers make.)  Add to that the greater convenience for the patron, and
I think there is no argument on behalf of paper records.  If there are
features to your module that don't work well or need fixing, participate
in the user group for your system and work to get those improved.  If
serials librarians don't ask, no one knows what we need!

I will be very interested to see if anyone has gone back to the kardex and
what their reasoning is.  Personally, I would fight to keep the module for
the very reasons you are saying they want to go - saves time, works more
efficiently, keeps track of all information much more accurately.  And
lets the patron know instantly what the status of any periodical is.

Good luck with your decision making.  Karen.

Karen M. Chobot, MS, MLS
Reference/Serials Librarian
Mildred Johnson Library
North Dakota State College of Science
800 N. 6th St.
Wahpeton ND 58076
701/671-2385

"I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
outside the conventions and humdrum routine of daily life."  Sherlock
Holmes, in "The Red-Headed League."

----------(2)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:37:36 -0600
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>

How long have you been using your serials module, and what module do you
use?  We just automated our checkin procedures last year using DRA's
system, and everyone here loves it.  The student workers who do the
checkin say it is much easier than the old card system.

Personally, I feel that going from an automated system to the old card
system is a step backward but each library should make whatever decision
it feels provides the best service to its users in the most efficient
manner possible.  We still checkin daily newspapers on cards as well as
standing order items that are not barcoded, but have never and probably
never will contemplate going back to cards for general serials.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu