Serials module to kardex (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 21 Mar 2000 21:33 UTC

----------(1)
>From buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU Tue Mar 21 16:30:57 2000
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:57:37 -0600
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Serials module to kardex (Peter Picerno)

Two points on the latest reponse to the ILS vs. Kardex discussion.

1.  There is always going to be an investment of labor in setting up and
training staff on a new system.  Part of the problem is that library staff
resist change and this leads to a selective reponse to the new system
(selective meaning that the staff focus on the negative aspects of the
system and fail to foresee the benefits of the system over the long-term).
There are ways to make this hurdle smaller when transitioning (better
training, etc.), but there will always be a hurdle to overcome when
switching.

2.  One of the biggest advantages is the reporting functions you can perform
for serials data that you cannot do with a Kardex system.  Unfortunately, as
has been pointed out in numerous books on library information systems, the
reporting cabalities are the most underused and since many librarians do not
use them, the vendors do not feel the pressure to innovate and improve the
reporting functions.  I think that librarians need to realize that the
serials modules are more than a Kardex system on the computer and push for
LIS vendors to improve the other aspects of the modules (reporting, binding,
claiming, subscriptions information, etc.).  It isn't that automation
necessarily reduces labor because it generally does not (just like the
argument that automation reduces paper is pretty much ridiculous).  But
automation opens up avenues that were simply unavailable before and it seems
that we are failing to seize upon those opportunities.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:33:35 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>

The one thing a Kardex does do better is to present the maximum amount of
information in the minimum space. I have not seen a electronic display that
can do as well. I consider this an argument for better displays, not for
substituting or even retaining the manual file.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and