006 field for electronic journals (patricia Thompson) Marcia Tuttle 03 Apr 2000 10:51 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:27:05 -0600
From: Patricia Thompson <pthompso@SEWANEE.EDU>
Subject: 006 field for electronic journals

I was reviewing and updating the procedures I wrote for myself for
cataloging electronic journals and websites, and I ran into a discrepancy
that got me confused all over again.

If we have a journal title in both print and electronic form, I am using
the single bibliographic record approach as described in the CONSER
Cataloging Manual Module 31 for Remote Access Computer File Serials. This
is available at http://lcweb.loc.gov/acq/conser/mod31pt1.html#interim

Why is that we're not supposed to add an 006 field to these composite
records?

Pat Thompson

Patricia R. Thompson
Head of Cataloging