780 785 Tags (3 messages) Marcia Tuttle 03 Apr 2000 17:35 UTC

----------(1)
>From Jeanne_A_BAKER@UMAIL.UMD.EDU Mon Apr  3 13:32:12 2000
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:28:00 EDT
From: jb8 <Jeanne_A_BAKER@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Re: 780 785 tags (Cyndie Leavitt)

Hello Cyndie,

This is an ages old problem and a discussion that gets revisited every time
one switches to a new ILS.  Personally, I would not delete the 780 and 785
tags from the records.  This information is bibliographically correct and is
needed when one is trying to determine whether there is a title change.
Patrons may want to know what the earlier/later title is, especially if your
library doesn't own it, so they can find it elsewhere.  The real question here
is whether your ILS should index these tags.  OCLC indexes these tags since
catalogers need to find all related records.  However, indexing these tags
in your ILS does lead to false expectations.  It also then becomes a
bigger training issue, constantly having to exlain why the library doesn't
own the title though it appears in the index.

Jeanne A. Baker
Head, Serials Cataloging Unit
Technical Services Division
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742

Jeanne_A_Baker@umail.umd.edu)

phone:  301-405-9328
fax:    301-314-9971

----------(2)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:54:14 EDT
From: Sunee Grima <SuneeGrima@aol.com>

Cyndie,

It is acceptable to delete them, if your system does not want to keep them.
The first question that comes to my mind is that this seems to be an
institution policy not yours or reference librarians to decide. I disagree
with the reference librarians, besides it is their jobs to educate the public
on how to use and understand the catalog. My advice to you is to ask for a
written policy and guidelines on why these fileds have to be deleted.  This
probalby includes their  collection development plan in the future and how
this will affect your work and the system catag. Who would be accountable for
this procedure? Be polite in your approach and good luck.

Sunee Grima
Librarian
Weber County Public Library
Ogden UT 80043
sgrima@weberpl.lib.ut.us

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:08:06 -0700
From: Elizabeth Mcdonald <lizm@UNR.EDU>

Hi,

Do you get any ILL requests where you are.  Sometimes a citation a patron
or and ILL has will cite the previous of later title when then issue they
want is actually a part of the title you have.  If you delte the 780,
785's you will not be able to find them.

Elizabeth
Reno