Re: 780 785 tags (P. Michelle Fiander) Marcia Tuttle 04 Apr 2000 17:30 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:31:44 -0500
From: "Fiander, P. Michelle" <mfiander@IUPUI.EDU>
Subject: Re: 780 785 tags (Kathryn Wesley)

Why don't you create latest entry records? By doing so, you'd satisfy public
services staff while maintaining the history of title changes. In an online
environment I think latest entry makes much more sense than successive entry
and, even though it's not standard practice, it's better than stripping
relevant information out of records. It would also be a way for you to
address the problem rather than waiting and raising the ire of frustrated
public service librarians.  Good luck!

*********************************
Michelle Fiander
IUPUI University Library
755 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:39:47 -0400
From: Kathryn Wesley <kwesley@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: Re: 780 785 tags (Cyndie Leavitt)

Cyndie,

In addition to the bibliographic reasons given in previous answers
to your posting, I would ask if your institution plans to hire a new
serials librarian.  If so, I would certainly postpone such a decision
until that time.  If you cannot wait for the new librarian's input,
at least keep good records of the titles you edit in this way.

Personally, I'd hate to come to a new job with this kind of
surprise waiting.

I agree that it is a much better solution not to index the 780 and
785 fields.

Kathryn Wesley          kwesley@clemson.edu
Serials Cataloger               864-656-5171
R.M. Cooper Library
Clemson University
Clemson, SC  29634