Re: Cancellation of print journals (Susan E. Sturgeon) Marcia Tuttle 13 Apr 2000 20:44 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:17:03 -0400
From: Susan E. Sturgeon <ssturgeo@SALEM.MASS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Cancellation of print journals (JoAnne Griffin)

In a nutshell, what we have done is to do a simple "usage of
paper" study, based on what has to be put away, of periodicals we are
getting in pretty stable databases, like EbscoHost and InfoTrac.  If a
title has not been touched for a semester, we cancel it and replace it
with microfilm or keep it on microfilm if we had it backed up that
way.  So, the only problems we encounter are that some things like
charts, graphs, illustrations and advertising are not included in the
electronic versions.  I have found that most people are accepting of the
electronic versions of periodicals and newspapers as, at worst,
necessary evils.  Another fear I had which has not really come to pass
is that the lag time between the print and the electronic would be
problematic.  It really hasn't been, altho I have a feeling it's because
many people aren't aware of it.

SUSAN STURGEON
SERIALS DEPARTMENT
SALEM STATE COLLEGE LIBRARY