Re: Combining indexes (John Hickey) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Apr 2000 13:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:12:37 -0400
From: John Hickey <jhickey@ITHACA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Combining indexes (Elizabeth Thacker-Estrada)

The classic technique  put each index  in a 510 Field, & a major
national project added these entries to CONSER records late '70-'80s. If
you have CONSER records, you will have this info; make sure the 510
Fields display & maybe prune out the ones you don't have.
Now that we can use 856 Fields to hot link to anything on the web, you
could add 856 fields, or find records with them, to link to your
indexes/databases; I imagine that your users want the article itself
more than intermediate info about where it is..  In fact, CONSER records
now have links to the Web signup address for some of these - JSTOR,
Project Muse, & OCLC's Electronic Collections.  Alas, the ones not done
yet are Info Access & ProQuest.
Yours, John Hickey

--Boundary_(ID_ocJUsy1iD2Pu+A+KC6Y7CQ)

begin:vcard