Cataloging serial backfiles on CD-ROM (Ryan Finnerty) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 01 May 2000 17:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 09:32:28 -0700
From: Ryan Finnerty <Ryan@LIBRARY.UCSD.EDU>
Subject: Cataloging serial backfiles on CD-ROM

     I was hoping for some guidance on how to catalog serial backfiles on
CD-ROM (or another direct access CF carrier)  that come out as a one-time
issuance.  I have looked in CCM30 but this only seems to cover computer files
that are serially issued.
     Even though I find many examples in OCLC that treat them as monographs
(e.g. AIM report, Agricultura y sociedad), I am inclined to catalog them as
serials.  This way they would be included in serial limits, journal title
indexes, serial scopes, plus they would be in serial databases. This is
important for UC since our union catalog is divided into serial and mono
databases.  The 006 field has future potential to accomplish these things,
but it not quite there yet with most of our present systems.
     We presently catalog print reproductions of a serial as a serial,
even if it complete in one volume and it makes sense to use the same model
for computer files.  This certainly fits the content over carrier model that
we have moved towards.
     Does anyone know if there are specific rules for this or if CONSER has
an official policy?

Thank you for any help you could provide,

Ryan Finnerty
Serials and Electronic Resources Cataloger
UC San Diego