Non-smear stamp for periodicals (3 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 02 May 2000 18:30 UTC

3 messages:

1)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:02:52 -0500
From: Pauline Bryant <bryantp@SWOSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (Ravi Shenoy)

Please respond to the list as we are having the same
problems with stamping periodicals and I'm sure others
are also.

Pauline Bryant
bryantp@swosu. edu

2)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:16:23 -0500
From: Bonnie Forrest <BF2@GML.LIB.UWM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals. Preservation.

I noticed that many of the answers to the question of smearing
stamping was to place a label on the issue.  How do people handle the
binding problem with this?  Our binder told us that when labels build
up in one spot it makes it difficult to get a smooth binding (which
makes sense.)  Beyond that, what about the inherent difficulties with
labelling?  Beyond the acidity problem, labels fall out.  I recently
received discarded volumes from another library that used different
types of labels and I noticed in one run that the most recent titles
(less than 10 years old) were already falling out while some they had
put in almost 30 years ago couldn't be budged.

How do others deal with these problems?

Bonnie Forrest
UWM-Golda Meir Library Serials Dept.
2311 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53201
(414) 229-4752

3)______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:16:18 -0500
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (16 messages)

I have two questions about the stamping issue:

1) For those libraries that use stickers and then stamp on the stickers,
wouldn't it be easier to just print up the stickers?  You can very easily do
it.  Just buy some labels at any office supply store and then use a word
processing program like MS Word to print.  The stickers we use work great!
This cuts the labor down in half.  Instead of sticking and stamping, you
just stick on the cover.  You also don't have to worry about smudging and/or
flipping through the journal to find a suitable page for stamping.

2)  Why do we stamp the current date on the issue?  What value does this
give us that justifies the labor involved?  We do not stamp the date on the
issue here, but I know tons of libraries do it and I have always been
curious as to why.  I have never been asked when an issue was received by
the library.  Just curious as to whether this is something libraries do just
because it has always been done in the past...

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu